Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   IT   RO   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   ES   BG   FI   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 scuola fondata 1920 - ente morale »
« What if...    

English-German Translation of
Chaot

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Chaot  
von nitram (GB), 2018-10-10, 16:58  Spam?  
An attempt is being made to delete the entry :- anarchist (male) = Chaot (m) for being incorrect.
https://contribute.dict.cc/?action=edit&id=688807

Oxford Duden gives :- [1] Chaot (Politik) anarchist (trying to undermine society); (bei Demonstrationen) violent demonstrator
[2] (salopp: unordentlicher Mensch)

According to OD 'Chaotin' exists for the female anarchist
Chat:     
von Prostetnik Jelzin, 2018-10-10, 20:00  Spam?  79.251.245....
Instead of deleting, you should add

banker (male) = Nazi /m)
catholic (male) = Kinderschänder (m)

because that's on the same level of defamation.
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2018-10-11, 15:41  Spam?  
Einen "echten" Anarchisten kann man sicher nicht als Chaoten bezeichnen, aber zumindest im Deutschen werden die Ausdrücke heutzutage ugs. schon oft im selben Sinn gebraucht, scheint mir.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-10-11, 16:10  Spam?  
How would you translate "Chaot" into English when it is being used with a political meaning rather than to mean a disorganised person/slob?
Antwort: 
von ddr (AT), 2018-10-11, 17:16  Spam?  
Bei politischen Großereignissen werden Demonstranten bzw. Gegendemonstranten, vor allem, wenn es zu "Gewalt gegen Sachen" oder gar zu gewalttätigen Auseinandersetzungen mit der Polizei kommt, meist als Chaoten, aber manchmal eben auch als Anarchisten bezeichnet.
Ich bin aber auch nicht sicher, ob man das subject 'pol' bei dem Eintrag stehen lassen sollte. Für Chaoten ist es ein hilfreicher Hinweis, für Anarchisten eher irreführend.
Antwort: 
von nitram (GB), 2018-10-11, 17:21  Spam?  
Oxford Duden and Pons translate to  'anarchist'. Wahrig defines as 'extrem radikaler Anarchist'
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-10-11, 17:29  Spam?  
It feels like it might be "lover(s) of chaos" (except that phrase doesn't google well).
It also feels like something that might get translated as "agitator(s)", except that sounds even less precise that "anarchist(s)".
4;nitram, the native German speakers here seem quite determined that it's not the same as an anarchist. But, assuming they're right (and so many of them agree that I think we should), if we do remove that entry from the dict, it would be good to replace it at least an explanation of what it means. If we don't do that, all that will happen is that people will turn to other dictionaries, discover it is translated there as "anarchist" and use this. On the other hand, if "anarchist" genuinely is the best translation, then it would be good if it stayed in the dict, but with proper labelling to explain to non-native German speakers how it differs/how we ought to be careful
Antwort: 
von nitram (GB), 2018-10-11, 17:38  Spam?  
Chambers Dictionary - anarchist - 1) a person whose idea of society is one without government of any kind; 2) a person who seeks to bring about such a condition by terrorism; 3) a person who causes disorder and upheaval
Antwort: 
Wie im Link zum Oxford-Duden angeben  ... siehe Comment beim Eintrag  #898467
von Wenz (DE), 2018-10-11, 17:42  Spam?  
Ich schreibe OD ab:
Chaot als 2. Bedeutung (1. Bedeutung ist "Politik" wie ich es angegeben habe) und die 2. Bedeutung ist:
(bei Demonstrationen) = violent Demonstrator
Was haltet ihr davon?

(Chaot als unordentlicher Mensch = ein (furchtbarer) Chaot sein gibt er als to be (terribly) disorganized an.)
Antwort: 
von nitram (GB), 2018-10-11, 17:43  Spam?  
A state of anarchy could exist harmoniously if everyone thought that governments were useless.
However, a state of anarchy can describe rioting in the streets when a large number of people disobey the law, loot shops or throw petrol bombs at the police.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-10-11, 17:46  Spam?  
"violent demonstrator" (no capitals) is good English, so if that's the meaning, I'm all in favour of that (I think under dict guidelines, now that a delete has been correctly suggested we need to let that go through and enter this as a completely new entry). Thanks, Wenz.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-10-11, 17:48  Spam?  
4;nitram, as I understand it, anarchists don't believe in rioting in the streets, they mainly want things organised on a much more local and voluntary basis without a hierarchy and without a leader (I'm guessing you might have a designated organiser instead of a designated leader, as without someone to do the work, in my experience nothing gets done).
Antwort: 
von nitram (GB), 2018-10-11, 17:59  Spam?  
How do we describe an 'anarchist' who believes that the only way to 'true anarchy' is by destroying the governement by terrorism or by fomenting anti-government unrest, because he knows that nobody would ever vote for his political system?
Antwort: 
von Prostetnik Jelzin, 2018-10-11, 19:19  Spam?  79.251.245....
Quote by Ernest Hemingway who fought alongside the anarchists in the Spanish civil war: "
“No animal has more liberty than the cat, but it buries the mess it makes. The cat is the best anarchist.”

So, we translate that to "Die Katze ist der größte Chaot?"

Hooligans are also called "Fußball-Chaoten". Their intention to engage in violence has little to do with soccer.  Also, the first ones to throw stones at political demonstrations are usually agent provocateurs paid by the government. The others, who are following their lead, know nothing about politics beside some shallow slogans.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2018-10-11, 19:41  Spam?  
4;Prostetnik Jelzin, not all translations work in all contexts, as I'm sure you already know. It partly depends how broadly you define "anarchist". I get the impression that in German "Anarchist" only means "someone who believes in anarchy", but, having checked a few dictionaries and finally noticed nitram's post of 17:43, I conclude that nitram is right that "anarchist" has a history of being used in English to refer to more than people who believe in anarchy. Based on the dictionary definitions and reactions by native English speakers (including my own reaction), it looks to me like is primarily used to describe people who believe in anarchy, but can also be used to describe people who cause disorder and upheaval and people trying to bring down the government and end the existing system of laws:
Chambers Dictionary - anarchist - 1) a person whose idea of society is one without government of any kind; 2) a person who seeks to bring about such a condition by terrorism; 3) a person who causes disorder and upheaval
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/anarchist
(disapproving) someone who wishes to destroy the existing government and laws:
anarchist tendencies/demonstrations
MW: 1: a person who rebels against any authority, established order, or ruling power
2 : a person who believes in, advocates, or promotes anarchism or anarchy
especially : one who uses violent means to overthrow the established order
I assume Hemingway's cat was a rebel against authority, rather than specifically trying to destroy government
However:
4;nitram, based on how Wenz and Prostetnik Jelzin have so far described "Chaot", it seems "violent demonstrator", "violent agitator", "hooligan" or "yob" is closer to the mark. Anarchists do seem to want to destroy government/laws, whereas with Chaot there seems to be more of an emphasis on violence and local disruption than a desire to destroy government or laws. I have my doubts that Fußball-Chaoten much care about the system of government (beyond probably feeling their actions should not be punishable or illegal)
Antwort: 
etwas wie [not in a (strictly) academical or political sense] [dated] [pej.] ...??  #898523
von hausamsee (DE), Last modified: 2018-10-13, 03:38  Spam?  
4; anarchist -  "Chaot": Eines scheint beim Lesen der vielen Kommentare klar geworden zu sein: Dass hier (Wiki-)Definitionen - auch für Disambiguationen - überhaupt nicht weiterhelfen.
- - - - - - -  ...  Without context it's not possible to offer useful translations.
Was Anarchie, wer ein Anarchist ist, ist eine rein akademische Frage. "Anarachist" als Selbsztzuschreibung (im "strikt"! ideologischen Sinne) ist bereits ein Widerspruch in sich. Auch erinnert mich eine etwaige Auskunft "wir sind Anarchisten" unvermeidlich an Monty Phyton ... Wir haben also zwei Fälle zu unterscheiden:

1.) Anarchist in Selbstzuschreibungen und 2.) in Fremdzuschreibungen.

Zu 1.) ist zu bemerken: Anarchist ist, wer sich selbst so bezeichnet oder bezeichnet hat, wie z.B. Sid Vicious (akademische Erläuterungen können, müssen aber nicht folgen). Zu 2.) Fremdzuschreibungen sind extrem davon abhängig, wer sie wann und in welchem Kontext gebraucht. (Dasselbe gilt für Chaot und Chaoten, insb. aber auch bei Selbstzuschreibungen.)

Selbstzuschreibungen können wir also außer Acht lassen (und damit die Was-Frage nach Anarchist u. Anarchismus). Chaot ist hier wohl kaum von Interesse. (aber : "Hannover Chaostage")

Zu 2.) Anarchist taucht häufig sehr unspezifisch auf i.S.v. Wirrkopf, Störenfried, Rebell, Gesetzesloser  ... Chaot; politisch oft abwertend in Zusammenhang mit Kommunisten, Maoisten ... Weiter als Individualist oder im Sinne des historischen/philosophischen Anarchismus. Chaot(en) ist im "politischen" Sinne in Deutschland veraltend. In den 70ern war Chaot pejorativ noch in Gebrauch von ideologisch Linken für "falsch" (Maoisten) oder unorganisierte "Linke". Das nahm dann ab. I. d. 80ern weiterhin abwertend, aber in Zeitungen hauptsächlich noch in "politischem" Sinne, also grob eine politische Richtung bezeichnend, für gewaltbereite Demonstranten. Ab den 90ern immer weniger mit "politischen" Konnotationen. Dann immer mehr i.S.v. Randalierer, Hooligan, wo also kaum noch von "gewaltbereiter Demonstrant" gesprochen werden kann.

In sovjet-russischer Literatur (Der Leidensweg, Alexei Tolstoi, Romantrilogie, 1921–1941) sind Anarchisten dekadente Außenseiter, die die Wirren der Revolution ausnutzen, um Reichtümer, Juwelen, Pelze anzuhäufen usw.

Abgesehen davon, dass Chaot wie auch Anarchist sowohl von links wie rechts mit unterschiedlichen Konnotationen abwertend gebraucht worden ist, würden diese alten Begriffe, wenn irgendwie noch "politisch" verstanden, heute eher euphemistisch klingen, wenn wir an Massengewaltausbrüche wie zuletzt in Hamburg denken. Der SPIEGEL will altväterlich mit 'Maoisten' gesprochen haben, aber für diese Leute haben wir bis heute keine Kategorie benannt.

https://www.dwds.de/r?q=anarchist+%26%26+chaot&corpus=public&am... "Anarchist && Chaot" 1970-2000

https://www.dwds.de/r?q=anarchist+&corpus=public&date-start... "Chaot" 1970-2018

https://www.dwds.de/r?q=anarchist+&corpus=public&date-start... "Anarchist" 1970-1990

übrigens: Ich bin der einzige Anarchist im Dorf!" ;)
Chat:     
PS.  Kleine Begriffswolke zusammen mit "Anarchist*"  #898527
von hausamsee (DE), Last modified: 2018-10-13, 03:33  Spam?  
Drückeberger, Autonome, Antiimperialisten und RAF-Sympathisanten, Kommunisten, Wirrköpfen, Trotzkisten, Maoisten, Bolschewisten, Terroristen, Studenten, eine gewalttätige, brandschatzende Horde von langhaarigen A., Protestler, Halbverrückte, Maoisten, Intellektuelle, Störenfriede, rebellischen jungen Männern, Bombenleger, Stadtguerillas, Stadtindianer, Individualist, Baader-Meinhof-Leute, Makrobiotiker, Linkskommunist

Zeitraum: 1970-1988

Aus dem aggregierten Referenz- und Zeitungskorpus des Digitalen Wörterbuchs der deutschen Sprache, <https://www.dwds.de/r?q=anarchist&corpus=public&date-start=...;, abgerufen am 13.10.2018.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2018 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung ausblenden