Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Could you proofread this text? »
« hairdryer    

English-German Translation of
Hierzu würde mich

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Hierzu würde mich die Meinung der dict-Gemeinde interessieren:  
von parker11 (DE), 2018-11-14, 07:14  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
In jedem Fall Subject EU  #900021
von Wenz (DE), 2018-11-14, 09:37  like dislike  Spam?  
The Spitzenkandidat (German for "Lead Candidate") process is the method of linking European Parliament elections by having each major political group in Parliament nominating their candidate for Commission President prior to the Parliamentary elections. The Spitzenkandidat of the largest party would then have a mandate to assume the Commission Presidency. This process was first run in 2014 and its legitimacy was contested by the Council.
Wikipedia(EN): President_of_the_European_Commission
Antwort: 
Lehnwort  #900022
von Dracs (DE), 2018-11-14, 09:41  like dislike  Spam?  
Anderes Beispiel: dict.cc: rucksack
Eine Nichtdeutsche ist sicher froh drum.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2018-11-14, 10:07  like dislike  Spam?  
I am familiar with the words rucksack and schadenfreude in English, but not "Spitzenkandidat". However, it genuinely does seem to be used in English, particularly capitalised, but also uncapitalised. Google: spitzenkandidat site:.co.uk
It should probably be tagged pol. as well as EU. I'm not sure about Cameron's definition. It doesn't really tell me what it is, but then again a definition long enough to really explain what it is heads towards turning the dict into an encyclopaedia. People can always Google it. If we're going to tag with an explanation, then I think I prefer just [lead candidate].
Antwort: 
Thanks for the answers so far.  #900027
von parker11 (DE), 2018-11-14, 11:35  like dislike  Spam?  
What I really would be curious about: the EN pronunciation ;-)

Anybody find any youtubes??
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-11-14, 11:39  like dislike  Spam?  
I've never heard it said, but I reckon we might well be saying "spit sen candidate" and if not, then probably "spit sen candidaht"
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-11-14, 11:58  like dislike  Spam?  
Wow, actually like German: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhX_Vh9vCos 0:33ish
Chat:     
Schadenfreude und Rucksack  sind in OED   -  diverse andere dt. Wörter auch;  Spitzenkandidat ist nicht drin ..... vielleicht in ein paar Jahren ??  #900031
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), 2018-11-14, 12:03  like dislike  Spam?  
"rucksack, n.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  Brit. /ˈrʌksak/, /ˈrʊksak/,  U.S. /ˈrəkˌsæk/, /ˈrʊkˌsæk/
Forms:  18– rücksack, 18– rucksack, 19– rucsac, 19– rucsack.
Frequency (in current use):  
Origin: A borrowing from German. Etymon: German Rucksack.
Etymology: < German Rucksack... (Show More)
Thesaurus »

A strong, typically waterproof bag carried on the back by means of shoulder straps, used esp. by walkers and climbers; a knapsack, a backpack. "

" Schadenfreude, n.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  /ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/
Forms:  Also with lower-case initial.
Frequency (in current use):  
Etymology: German, < schaden harm + freude joy.
Thesaurus »

Malicious enjoyment of the misfortunes of others. "
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2018-11-14, 12:12  like dislike  Spam?  
For as long as I've known the word "schadenfreude", I've known it was a word borrowed from German (I can't remember if I learnt it in English before or after I started learning German, but I certainly knew it from English before I came across it for the first time in German). At least when I was younger "schadenfreude" was frequently used in sentences with phrases like "as the Germans call it" and the meaning was often described in English when it was used. It's possible there may be more awareness of the meaning now.
I've known the word "rucksack" since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I had no idea it was a German loan word. It was and is the main word I use for a rucksack, and in fact I had an aha moment at some point after I had learnt the German words for back and bag and finally put two and two together. "Spitzenkandidat" feels much more at the schadenfreude end of loan words than the rucksack end, and I think it is likely to have to go through years of people explaining what it means rather than most people just knowing.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2018-11-14, 12:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Just a thought: The words rucksack and schadenfreude fill a void in the English language. They express something concisely which can only be expressed otherwise by a descriptive phrase. I think spitzenkandidat was taken into English for different and less compelling reasons. In my view, it'll probably go back to where it came from in a few years.

Briefly googling the English spitzenkandidat seems to indicate that it's used mostly to describe an election process ("the EU spitzenkandidat process") and isn't applied all that much to a named lead- or top candidate.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2018-11-14, 12:38  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Michael, your findings with Spitzenkandidat are similar to mine, but I'm not sure I agree on rucksack.
We also have the word "backpack" in English, which I tend to use for slightly different bags from rucksacks, but can be used to refer to the same types of bag - Collins in fact says "backpack" is preferred in US English (although I suspect that opinion is out of date, given that you use "rucksack").
I also wonder if Spitzenkandidat will continue to be used to describe precisely this EU process for want of another word that succinctly labels this particular process.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2018-11-14, 12:48  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Windfall: Actually, I agree with you on rucksack. I used it (and really shouldn't have) because it always comes to mind in these loan word discussions. But I haven't seen or heard it used in quite a while now. I suspect it's exactly as Collins says and you suspect: it's no longer needed because we now have the backpack.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2018-11-14, 12:52  like dislike  Spam?  
We genuinely do still use the word rucksack. When I visualise a backpack, it's an old green thing on a 1950s hiker. When I visualise a rucksack  it's the huge modern thing that backpackers wear. Interestingly, until I wrote that sentence, it had never occurred to me that backpackers implies backpacks. Until I thought this through, rucksacks were quite simply what backpackers wore. I now see the irony, but will continue to say "rucksack" (and "backpacker") because those words are commonly understood here.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2018-11-14, 13:21  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Windfall: Interesting. To me, the German as well as the English rucksack suggests the 'old green thing' people wore to carry things around as they went about doing their daily chores. On Sundays, it was pressed into service for the obligatory family hike or, in my case, bicycle tour. An old photo tells me that my mother wore an old and battered rucksack when she was 'organizing' food or heating fuel in Berlin right after the war.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2018-11-15, 04:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Now that we use the word backpack rather than rucksack, I think of a backpack as a modern one and a rucksack as old fashioned one.  Earlier, I would have thought of a backpack as what backpackers used and a rucksack as what we now commonly call a backpack.
Chat:     
von aphoenix (US), 2018-11-15, 04:34  like dislike  Spam?  
As for Spitzenkandidat, I don't think most Americans would know what it was.  We don't have a similar process here.  One can choose to vote along a party line (check a box on the ballot that says to vote for all Democratic / Republican candidates) but that just means that instead of checking a box for each individual candidate that is a Democrat / Republican, one checks a single box.  (This option is useful only if one is too lazy to actually read what the candidates believe and what they propose to do if elected, and vote accordingly.)   One could conceivably compare the EU process to the use of the Electoral College to elect the President, in the sense that citizens vote indirectly for the President, but the Electoral College delegates are not otherwise involved in government and are not listed on the ballot, so I don't think there's much similarity there either.
Antwort: 
Nowhere close  #900449
von polarjud (US), 2018-11-22, 03:38  like dislike  Spam?  
The German is nowhere close to entering English. .

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung