Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   IT   RO   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   IS   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 basic movements »
« duty doctor    

English-German Translation of
Project fear

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Project fear  
von dhk (DE), 2019-01-11, 12:21  Spam?  
When watching TV coverage of the Brexit, the term "project fear" is quite frequent. I understand it has been used earlier in the context of another referendum, but has been brought to a new usage peak.
Is there a good translation for the phrase into German? I couldn't come up with anything (other than ad-hoc phrases like "Projektangst" which don't help much).
Antwort: 
von newcallas (DE), Last modified: 2019-01-11, 13:12  Spam?  
<b>P</b>roject fear oder <b>p</b>roject fear? "To project fear" wäre zu übersetzen mit "Angst verbreiten" oder "Furcht projizieren" oder so ähnlich
Antwort: 
It's defintely project (noun) and not project (verb).  #902728
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2019-01-11, 14:29  Spam?  
Wikipedia(EN): Project_Fear_(British_politics)
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/de/submission/12792/Project+Fear

It's probably one of those phrases that wasn't translated in German newspapers, but if you were going to translate it, it would have to be something like Projekt 'Angst', not Projektangst. It's not a fear of projects but a project whose aim is to cause fear.
Antwort: 
Thx Lllama  #902733
von dhk (DE), 2019-01-11, 14:47  Spam?  
that's what I didn't get: I was under the impression that the term describes a particular, or rather vague fear of engaging in a project in the first place.
Thanks for clarifying.
Chat:     
The thing is that leavers and remainers keep blaming each other ad nauseam of furthering their respective cause by means of 'project fear'.  #902763
von Proteus-, 2019-01-11, 22:28  Spam?  193.83.6...
The referendum was a close call. Fear, I'm afraid, was not such a decisive factor as some would like to think.
Chat:     
Close call it was, indeed.  #902773
von dhk (DE), 2019-01-12, 09:53  Spam?  
However, from what I'm gathering, a certain degree of xenophobia played a role in the Leave-campaign and continues to pop up in arguments. And, to a lesser degree, the fear of losing sovereignty keeps being mentioned.
On the remain side, I am sure that a general fear of change, in particular in a situation where it is almost impossible to foretell what the change is going to be, was one of the many factors.
Wouldn't you agree?
Chat:     
Quite right, it was one of the contributing factors rather than a key factor.  #902830
von Proteus-, 2019-01-13, 14:11  Spam?  193.83.1...
Chat:     
So...  #902834
von dhk (DE), 2019-01-13, 16:07  Spam?  
...we seem to agree.
Let's see what going to happen on Tue and shortly thereafter. I have no idea...

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten