Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   IT   FR   PT   HU   NL   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   ES   NO   SV   IS   IT   FI   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen | Desktop

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 http://int.search.myway.com/search/GGmain.jhtml... »
« Frage von Nitram #906552 - Das Ergebnis interes...    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
eine Aus zahl  
von Windbuchse (US), 2019-03-22, 11:09  like dislike  Spam?  
Howdy from Portland, Oregon.  Been a long time since I've had to visit but this bit from a 1793 newspaper has me. Just not sure if I've got it right.

Source: Augsburger Ordinari Postzeitung von Staats-, gelehrten, historisch- u. ökonomischen Neuigkeiten, June 21, 1793, page 1, 1st sentence. https://books.google.de/books?id=7_RDAAAAcAAJ

Very hard to read but what I get "Dieses Tagen ist nebst einer grossen Menge Feuergewehre auch eine Aus zahl von 1000 Windbuehsen abgeschickt wurden, die unter bie Scharfschüzen müssen vertheilt werben."

Trans: "This day, in addition to a large quantity of firearms, a number of 1000 air guns were sent, which are to be distributed among the sharpshooters."

I'm a bit stumped by "Aus" being capitalized here. Just cannot distinguish how this changes anything.

Thanks for any help!
Antwort: 
von christinchen (DE), 2019-03-22, 11:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Ich denke es heißt Anzahl.  An - zahl, das was du als u liest ist ein Bindestrich.
https://digipress.digitale-sammlungen.de/view/bsb10505159_00599_u00...
Antwort: 
I read it as eine Anzahl with a hyphen after the n.  #906625
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2019-03-22, 11:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Also, Dieser Tagen... and Windbüchsen.
Antwort: 
:-))  #906626
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2019-03-22, 11:24  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Typical OCR artefacts.   #906627
von Dracs (DE), Last modified: 2019-03-22, 11:40  like dislike  Spam?  
Try similar glyphs, then it's easy to find out.
Edit: Oh, it is Fraktur ... not so easy with the glyphs.
Antwort: 
Thanks!  #906631
von Windbuchse (US), 2019-03-22, 12:22  like dislike  Spam?  
Argggg!    These old smeared Fraktur texts can be worse than a Rorschach test.

Always a pleasure visiting.

Thanks!
Antwort: 
The hyphen in those typefaces looked like this: = (but slanted upwards from left to right); in print it smudged most of the time.  #906653
von Proteus-, 2019-03-23, 01:42  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.7...
However, it is astonishingly legible on that page if you start at Frankfurt, den 16. Jun. and read the first sentence. Here you find beträcht = liche clearly displayed.

Cf. 5.4 Das rechts schräg nach oben gestellte Gleichheitszeichen, das in Frakturschriften üblicherweise als Silbentrennungszeichen (oder in der Funktion eines Ergänzungsstriches) verwendet wird, wird als gewöhnliches Gleichheitszeichen eingetippt. Die normalen Gleichheitszeichen, die in der Regel im Frakturdruck sehr lang sind, werden zur Unterscheidung durch doppelte Gleichheitszeichen abgebildet.
https://docplayer.org/22411543-Historisches-zeitungskorpus.html
Chat:     
The last quote was written by a superb stylist. Nothing more elegant than ... wird, wird ...  #906654
von Proteus-, 2019-03-23, 01:48  like dislike  Spam?  193.83.7...
Antwort: 
Hapsburg terror weapons  #906665
von Windbuchse (US), 2019-03-23, 11:54  like dislike  Spam?  
Just a comment on what Feuergewehre means here. These are incendiary bombs meant to set the target, such as a city, on fire. These were also used in the 1790 Siege of Belgrade with success. The idea was to terrorize the population of a fortress city to force a quick capitulation. In 1793, the target was Valenciennes.

It's interesting to note that in 1787 a nearly identical statement was issued just before the start of that war with the only difference being that the number was 10,000 air rifles.  These numbers were exaggerations. In 1787 they had less than 1000 Girandoni's produced. They lied again in 1793, since the records are clear that only 500 air rifles were serviceable and sent to Flanders.

For a fascinating read about the Siege of Valenciennes see: Таgebuch der Belagerung und Bombardierung der französischen Festung Valenciennes im Jahre 1793. Von L. v. Unterberber

This text was actually used for years as a study of how to conduct a siege... by the book.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2019-03-23, 16:45  like dislike  Spam?  
Windbuchse, it's always interesting to read your posts. There's another murky circumstance in the text you're working on. If the delivery indeed consisted of fire bombs, the description Feuergewehre is misleading since that stands for "firearm," like a musket or a rifle. A fire bomb would be a Feuergeschoss. Nothing has changed over the years--someone says A but does B. Good to see you back.
Chat:     
von Windbuchse (US), 2019-03-24, 08:39  like dislike  Spam?  
My interpretation comes from the knowledge of exactly what they did ship to Flanders in 1793; 2 siege trains and the airguns. The Austrians were not an exporter of small arms at the time. The only small arms they would have sent would have been on the backs of the infantry. Plus, as far as I can see, small arms, were not referred to as Feuergewehre, usually, only cannons, mortars, etc are so called. I've seen Handfeuerwaffen and Kleinewaffen used.

Note: the Austrians were very imaginative in the ammo used in their Feuergeschoss and I was not suggesting that Feuergeschoss specifically refers only to the incendiary type.

Yeah, I'm back for at least a while. Got sucked into 1793 and can't seem to get back. As one writer of the time wrote, "The entire world is black."  

The Siege of Valenciennes is the big attraction. It was an amazing event that is all but totally ignored in history. One of the most interesting aspects is that so many different countries were involved. Which means there is the English side, the Hannover side, Prussian side, Austrian side, etc.  Oh, of course, the French side(s). Even Langeron was there!  

What's got me at the moment is how stilted the English side has been. Mostly to protect the Duke of York. It wasn't until reading Unterberber, the guy who actually directed the siege, that everything became clear. The English were a bunch of newbies who didn't understand what they were dealing with. The large Hornwork was countermined. Which means if the English tried the coup de main as they wanted to, they all would have been blown up. History would be so different.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2019-03-24, 11:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks, Windbuchse, very informative reply.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2019 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr Informationen!
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten