|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 transportfähige Patienten »
« Fragen zu: "were/was" und "have/has been"    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
past simple vs. present perfect.  
von dalianabhan (EG), Last modified: 2019-10-24, 07:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Good morning, Forum!

I talked with my flight-mate for a while. Then, I've spent the rest of my flight reading my favorite book.

- Is present perfect the right tense in the second sentence? Or can both simple or present perfect be used there? Is there a difference in the meaning then?

Thank you in advance!
Antwort: 
von Sasso', 2019-10-24, 09:17  like dislike  Spam?  193.187.3...
When you give an account of something that has happened, you always used the present simple:

I talked ..., then I spent ..., finally I arrived ...

I don't think you can ever use the present perfect tense in combination with "the rest of my flight".
Antwort: 
von dalianabhan (EG), 2019-10-24, 09:39  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2019-10-24, 11:03  like dislike  Spam?  
I find this sentence the most probable:
I talked with my flight-mate for a while. Then I spent the rest of my flight reading my favorite book.
If you say "Then I've spent the rest of the flight reading my favorite book" it implies to me that you are still on the flight and that you've spent the rest of the flight so far reading your book. However, I think in that case, you'd be more likely to say "Since then, I've spent the rest of the flight reading my favorite book."
However, this is American English (I know from the spelling of favourite) and Americans often say things slightly differently to Brits, so Americans might disagree with me.
Chat:     
von Ceterum censeo, 2019-10-24, 10:54  like dislike  Spam?  79.224.97....
Just out of curiosity: Wouldn't people rather talk about seatmates? I can find flatmates and first mates in dictionaries, but no flight-mates.
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2019-10-24, 11:02  like dislike  Spam?  
I'd talk about "the passenger sitting next to me", but I figured it might be an Americanism and "my flight mate" did get some hits on Google.
Antwort: 
von Sasso', 2019-10-24, 11:31  like dislike  Spam?  193.187.3...
4;9:39: You should limit your search to English-speaking domains:
Keine Ergebnisse für "I've spent the rest of my flight" site:uk gefunden
Keine Ergebnisse für "I've spent the rest of my flight" site:us gefunden
Keine Ergebnisse für "I've spent the rest of my flight" site:au gefunden
Antwort: 
Actually, the difference in usage of the present perfect and past simple is very perplexing.  #913262
von dalianabhan (EG), Last modified: 2019-10-24, 16:15  like dislike  Spam?  
One would read many explanations in Grammar books about when to use them, and yet you would find them used in newspapers and English media in different way than mentioned in Grammar books. For example, you may find past simple used in a sentence with no time stated.

I would like to know how English native speakers look at this point?
Antwort: 
von Sasso', 2019-10-24, 16:26  like +1 dislike  Spam?  193.187.3...
Eine Zeitangabe ist keine Vorraussetzung für den den Gebrauch des einfachen Präteritums im Englischen.
Wenn das Grammatikbücher behaupten, dann sind sie schlecht. Meist steht dort aber nur, wenn es eine Zeitangabe gibt, ist das ein Fall für die simple past tense. Da wäre es eine Fehlinterpretation, den Umkehrschluss zu ziehen und zu glauben, diese Zeitform verlange immer eine Zeitangabe.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2019-10-24, 16:32  like dislike  Spam?  
4;dalianabhan, English native speakers don't think about it. We just know what the tense someone else has used means in their sentence and which tense fits our sentence. As far as I can make out, it's mainly about whether an action has completely finished or not. But we don't think of it like that. We just know which one we want to use and know what the tense that another person has used implies. I never think about which past tense I want to use (apart from when doing a translation, as sometimes it can be hard to work out which tense is meant). The right tense for what I mean always just comes into my head. People who have learned English as a second language are the ones who know all the handy tips and tricks.
Antwort: 
von zou (US), 2019-10-24, 17:49  like dislike  Spam?  
As an American, I would say:
I talked to / with the person sitting next to me for awhile. Then I read my favorite book for the rest of the flight.  / Then I spent the rest of the flight reading my favorite book.

I agree with Windfall. I don't think about about the grammar.
Antwort: 
Can we say that the present perfect is used to indicate an action that has just finished or with a result for the present time?  #913273
von dalianabhan (EG), 2019-10-24, 18:33  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Sasso', 2019-10-24, 19:02  like dislike  Spam?  193.187.3...
I'd put it slightly differently: The present perfect tense is used to emphasize the impact of a previous action on the present, e.g. the fact that something has been terminated, the state of being that has been achieved, the recentness of an action (just finished) or the general nature of a statement (I've never been to Scotland).

Be aware that Americans often use the simple past tense in some of those cases.
Antwort: 
https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/p...  #913276
von Proteus-, 2019-10-24, 23:18  like dislike  Spam?  217.149.163....
... up to the present / up to right now when you are breathing, not up to a point in the past that was the present there and then.
Antwort: 
Benefits to be derived from grammatical skills  #913277
von Proteus-, 2019-10-24, 23:24  like dislike  Spam?  217.149.163....
Antwort: 
PS: https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/18385/  #913278
von Proteus-, 2019-10-24, 23:36  like dislike  Spam?  217.149.163....
Phonemes, rimes, vocabulary and grammatical skills as foundations of early reading development: evidence from a longitudinal study
Muter, Valerie, Hulme, Charles, Snowling, Margaret J. and Stevenson, Jim (2004) Phonemes, rimes, vocabulary and grammatical skills as foundations of early reading development: evidence from a longitudinal study. Developmental Psychology, 40 (5), 665-681. (doi:10.1037/0012-1649.40.5.665).
Abstract

The authors present the results of a 2-year longitudinal study of 90 British children beginning at school entry when they were 4 years 9 months old (range = 4 years 2 months to 5 years 2 months).
Chat:     
Of course, grammar skills would have done nicely  #913279
von Proteus-, 2019-10-24, 23:37  like dislike  Spam?  217.149.163....
Antwort: 
Thank you all for your answers and your help.  #913281
von dalianabhan (EG), 2019-10-25, 11:24  like dislike  Spam?  

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung