Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   HU   SK   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   PL   NL   SQ   RU   IS   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 "Wenn man die alle in einen Sack steckt und dra... »
« Vorbehaltsgut    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
"Wenn man die alle in einen Sack steckt und draufhaut...  
von Micha77xx, 2019-12-23, 16:59  like dislike  Spam?  37.120.217....
... trifft man immer den Richtigen." - Gibt es einen Spruch im Englischen der ungefähr in diese Richtung geht? Natürlich humorvoll, nicht gewaltätig. Kontext etwa wie "A: "die Leute aus der IT-Abteilung haben mich kurz vor Weihnachten nochmal richtig auf die Palme gebracht." B: "IT-ler halt. Wenn man die alle....".
Antwort: 
Man könnte es vielleicht so wiedergeben:  #914888
von RedRufus (DE), Last modified: 2019-12-24, 09:14  like dislike  Spam?  
Catch / Get them all and then cling together, swing together

Hit them all / Hit the bunch and (you'll) hit the culprit
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2019-12-24, 11:38  like dislike  Spam?  
Of Redrufus's suggestions, I like "Hit them all and you'll hit the culprit" best, but I still find the intended meaning of this unclear. What is meant here?
Does this mean "They're all as bad as each other"?
Antwort: 
it means: One of them ist the culprit in any case, never mind the others who may be innocent  #914902
von RedRufus (DE), 2019-12-24, 11:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2019-12-24, 12:01  like dislike  Spam?  
Why never mind the others who may be innocent? This isn't something it makes sense to me to express in English. The nearest I can think of (and I've made this up, so it's not a standard phrase) is: swing a bat in there, you're bound to hit the guilty party.
Antwort: 
wenn man ALLE schlägt, ...  #914905
von RedRufus (DE), 2019-12-24, 12:08  like dislike  Spam?  
...  trifft man auf jeden Fall auch den Schuldigen. Dass man damit auch die Unschuldigen trifft, nimmt man in Kauf
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2019-12-24, 12:11  like dislike  Spam?  
I can't think of any standard expression to say this in English. We have the opposite though: It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer
Wikipedia(EN): Blackstone%27s_ratio
Chat:     
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), Last modified: 2019-12-24, 12:26  like +1 dislike  Spam?  
collateral damage .....

alle/jeder ist irgendwie /-wann schuldig sowieso ..... ??!!
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2019-12-24, 12:25  like dislike  Spam?  
We do have the concept of collateral damage, but it seems a weird thing to say in the sentences quoted at the top of this thread
Antwort: 
Dabei schwingt auch mit: Keiner ist besser als der Andere; Jeder von ihnen könnte der Schuldige sein, Jedem von ihnen ist alles zuzutrauen   #914909
von RedRufus (DE), 2019-12-24, 12:41  like dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2019-12-24, 12:48  like dislike  Spam?  
The German made no sense to me either, so thanks for the explanations, RedRufus. I think the problem is the desire for the English to be humorous and not violent. The German is nasty and unfunny, so it's going to be next to impossible to come up with humorous and non-violent English equivalent.
Antwort: 
Ich verstehe das DE anders als RedRufus um 12:08.  #914911
von parker11 (DE), Last modified: 2019-12-24, 12:57  like dislike  Spam?  
Eher so, wie er das um 12:41 beschreibt:

Für mich bedeutet es: alles sind Idioten, egal, wen man trifft, man trifft immer einen Richtigen/Schuldigen. In dem Sack befinden sich keine Unschuldigen.

Seine beiden Aussagen beschreiben nicht das Gleiche, IMHO.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2019-12-24, 13:21  like dislike  Spam?  
The logic is askew. The IT-ler halt... implies that all IT people are annoying. Yet this German saying is about finding and punishing the (one and only) culprit. Parker's 12:57 interpretation would right the logic.

If you're into cruelty, there's the 13th century Latin expression Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius, which someone in the the U.S. military re-translated as "Kill them all and let God sort them out." Merry Christmas!
Chat:     
von Windfall (GB), 2019-12-24, 13:11  like dislike  Spam?  
In case it helps, I would translate "IT-ler halt." as "That's IT guys for you."
Antwort: 
No, MichaelK, the German saying is NOT about finding and punishing the one and only culprit.  #914914
von parker11 (DE), 2019-12-24, 13:23  like dislike  Spam?  
Die ganze IT-Abteilung ist ein einziger Sauhaufen. Einer ist so schlimm wie der andere. Alle miteinander in einen Sack und man trifft nie einen Falschen, also immer einen Richtigen.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2019-12-24, 13:59  like dislike  Spam?  
parker, yes, I understand that now. The edit in my 13:21 gives you credit.

If you're going to generalize, I would invent a completely different setting that could provide at least a slight sense of humor, like If you go into a bar and it's full of IT people, you know to turn around and walk back out. This is a take-off on an old German immigrant's joke making the rounds in 1950s New York: What does a German immigrant do when he walks into a bar and it's full of other German immigrants? Walk back out."
Chat:     
Zum Fest der Liebe beste Grüße an alle!   #914918
von hausamsee (DE), Last modified: 2019-12-24, 14:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Immer einfach zu allen freundkich sein, irgendwann trifft es auch mit Sicherheit die Richtigen!
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2019-12-24, 15:01  like dislike  Spam?  
+1.
Antwort: 
round em all up and shoot em (except Kahn)  #914921
von callixte (US), Last modified: 2019-12-24, 18:29  like +1 dislike  Spam?  
https://books.google.com/books?id=99CVCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT93&lpg=...
American Movie:  humorous

Archie Lee Meighan : You know, there's a new bureau in Washington, D. C. It's called the U.W. Bureau. You know what U.W. stands for? It stands for Useless Women! They got secret plans afoot to -

[takes a swig of liquor]

Archie Lee Meighan : to round 'em all up and shoot 'em. That's funny. Shoot 'em. Now, you heard me. I said shoot 'em.

Baby Doll : How 'bout men that's destructive? Ain't they got some plan to round up destructive men and shoot ‘em
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048973/characters/nm0004647

British:  humorous

However, when you mention this to the London cabbie and he says, ‘Yeah, I was just finking I’d like to round ’em all up and shoot ’em’, this makes you laugh and helps to restore their
https://mumbojumbosoph.wordpress.com/category/london-mumbo/page/5/
Antwort: 
von callixte (US), Last modified: 2019-12-25, 18:07  like dislike  Spam?  
Building on Windfall and Parker:   That's our IT department for you.  One (guy) is worse than the next.  
This carries the meaning, but doesn't retain the humor of the original.   So I prefer, "Round em all up and shoot em.," since it is both disparaging and humourful.

Here's how the Telegraph wrote it: "Apart from Kahn, you could put that lot in a bag and beat it with a stick and whoever got hit would deserve it."https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/3040541/Quotes-of-the-year.html
Chat:     
Merry Christmas + thanks guys, nice comments! I need this phrase this evening...  #914930
von Micha77xx, 2019-12-25, 13:59  like +1 dislike  Spam?  37.120.217....
... because I will meet a friend who is native Canadian, and we speak English so I can practice. So I am just preparing a couple of great phrases, so that he will see that my English is improving. And I think you guys clarified it, but just in case: the German expression says that everyone in the adressed group is guilty and should be punished. But the punishment is totally over the top - put people together into a sack and beat them is not a real life violent practice, the picture refers to a cartoon type of violence, only a cartoon for kids would show this. That´s why it is funny.

"That´s our IT department for you" is great - and sounds like real English
Antwort: 
von Micha77xx, 2019-12-25, 14:05  like dislike  Spam?  37.120.217....
just for fun and because I loved these so much as a kid - this is the type of violence the phrase implies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU0GSbe6r_4
Antwort: 
von mintie, 2019-12-27, 02:41  like +1 dislike  Spam?  49.180.31....
"They're all as bad as each other".

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung