Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Translation help? »
« AFFORD    

English-German Translation of
reached the popular

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
reached the popular outcome  
von Deseret (SI), 2020-07-02, 08:25  like dislike  Spam?  
But outside the right, the welcome afforded Gorsuch’s ruling — which reached the popular outcome, and relieved our legislators of a responsibility they didn’t want — is a telling indication of how our system is understood to work.

Can you explain this part of the sentence: "which reched the popular outcome"?
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2020-07-02, 14:47  like dislike  Spam?  
The "popular" part means "what the majority of people wanted".
I think it means that the ruling resulted in an outcome (something happening or not happening) that most people wanted, but I don't find the phrasing particularly clear. If the phrase is intended to mean something else, then it would still have a very similar meaning involving saying that Gorsuch's ruling was popular/achieved what the majority wanted.
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2020-07-02, 13:59  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks
Antwort: 
von Dwight (US), 2020-07-03, 06:25  like dislike  Spam?  
which achieved the outcome desired by many. In the case of a political or judicial outcome described as "popular", those who favored it were presumably a clear (not a bare) majority.
Chat:     
von Deseret (SI), 2020-07-03, 09:06  like dislike  Spam?  
ok
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), Last modified: 2020-07-03, 15:18  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Dwight,  that's an interesting difference either between US and UK English or between your English and mine. I perceive "most" and "a majority" as meaning more than half, and quite probably significantly more than half unless specified otherwise,  whereas "many" could mean "a lot of people but (far) fewer than half". For instance, if you say "most/the majority of people supported the politician", you know it was more than half of them. If you say "many people supported the politician", you could easily mean 3 million in a country of 30 million - 3 million people are many people in any context, but they're neither the majority nor most people in this context
Antwort: 
von Dwight (US), 2020-07-03, 23:50  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Windfall: I agree that "most people" and "a majority" mean more than half of those in the implied population. However, I don't think "popular" (in general usage) necessarily implies that admirers (of whatever is described as "popular") amount to most or a majority; e.g., a "popular movie" or "popular book" is presumably appreciated by many people, not necessarily a majority of people (those with whom it is not popular wouldn't necessarily dislike it, they might simply not have seen it, or follow movies or read books). In the case of a "popular" outcome bearing on a question of broad political interest, though, presumably most people would have some like/dislike reaction, and those who do favor it would be in the majority.
Antwort: 
von Windfall (GB), 2020-07-04, 09:32  like dislike  Spam?  
4;Dwight,  absolutely,  I wouldn't have said "majority" or "most" about a popular book. However,  a popular decision needs a majority favouring it at the very least among those who are involved or care. You can't call something a popular decision if only 30% of people favour it and 70% of people are against it (although I admit that my original "majority" meant "majority of those who care either way"). You could, however,  have an unpopular decision that many people (even 3 million out of that population of 30 million) favoured or indeed favoured strongly. Hopefully Deseret has a similar word in their native language and understands the concept of popularity in general.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung