Alle Sprachen    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   PT   NL   SK   HU   LA   FI   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   |   SK   FR   HU   NL   PL   SQ   IS   RU   ES   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   DA   PT   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|About/Extras|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Mitbürger: fellow residents versus fellow citiz... »
« In search of culinary words    

English-German Translation of
Milchkalbsbrust

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Milchkalbsbrust  
von romy (CZ/GB), 2020-07-09, 10:49  like +1 dislike  Spam?  
Ist eine "gefüllte Milchkalbsbrust mit Topfenserviettenknödeln und Ofenkraut" eine "breast of a sucking calf" oder "breast of a sucking veal" oder "veal breast of a suckling"? Den Rest bekomme ich hin. ;)
Antwort: 
von Zuchi1, 2020-07-09, 11:05  like dislike  Spam?  62.216.202....
Not a full answer -
"calf" is already the young form of the animal. Never come across "sucking/suckling calf" as a choice on the menu. Veal would be stated.
"Suckling pig" does come on a plate, the very young as opposed to the meat of a grown pig.
Antwort: 
von Zuchi1, 2020-07-09, 11:12  like dislike  Spam?  62.216.202....
A butcher's chart name the meat from which part. "breast" I have doubt.
Chat:     
von romy (CZ/GB), 2020-07-09, 11:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Zuchi1, just like a sucking pig a sucking calf is a very young animal which has not eaten any solid fodder yet and therefore provides meat of a special taste and structure. I have translated it now as "Stuffed veal breast of a sucking calf, quark-and-bread dumpling slices & roast cabbage".
Analogously, I have translated the next dish, which is "Geschmorte Ochsenbacken", as "Braised beef cheeks of an ox" because a castrated animal (ox) provides milder tasting meat than an entire male (bull) whose body is full of testosterone or a cow whose body has again different hormonal influences as well as a lower muscle and higher fat content. Although probably only gourmands with the most delicate tongues and sensitive palates can really sense the difference.
Antwort: 
von Zuchi1, 2020-07-09, 12:53  like dislike  Spam?  62.216.202....
You might as well translate them literally.

A friend of mine owns a Michelin 3-star restaurant. Thanks but thereafter no thanks.  I prefer traditional food that cooks have perfected by cooking it thousands of time.
Antwort: 
von newcallas (DE), 2020-07-09, 12:57  like dislike  Spam?  
" of a sucking calf,"
Ich kenne "Milchlamm", das als "suckling lamb" übersetzt wird, demnach wäre "suckling calf" korrekt. "milk-fed" wäre eine andere Möglichkeit, drückt für den Gourmet (nicht Gourmand ;-) vielleicht noch deutlicher aus, was gemeint ist. "Topfenknödel" sind hier im Lexikon: "curd (cheese) dumplings".
beef cheeks of an ox ist irgendwie doppelt gemoppelt - "ox cheek" heißt es hier bei dict kurz und bündig.
Ochsenfleisch kommt - meines Wissens - von einem älteren Tier, das natürlich kastriert wurde. Weil sie langsamer wachsen und älter werden, gilt das Fleisch als besonders schmackhaft und aromatisch. Bullen schlachtet man jung. Näheres dazu: https://gourmetscouts.de/2018/08/24/faerse-jungbulle-ochse-wie-unte...
Antwort: 
von MarkusMunich (DE), Last modified: 2020-07-09, 13:01  like +1 dislike  Spam?  
Chat:     
Milchkalb   #920282
von Wenz (DE), 2020-07-09, 13:04  like dislike  Spam?  
https://www.kalbdasbuch.de/prozess/das-junge-milchkalb/
Es spricht für sich, dass die Kälber für die Kalbfleischproduktion vor allem von Milchrassen stammen.
Antwort: 
von newcallas (DE), 2020-07-09, 13:21  like dislike  Spam?  
4;WenZ:
Du hast recht: "Qualitätsmilchmastkalb: max. 4 Monate alt, 80-105kg SG (max. 120kg) (ich füttere auf ca.170 kg LG)
Fütterung: !Milch! und Stroh, kein KF und wenig Heu" https://www.landwirt.com/Forum/320292/Schlachtgewicht-Milchkalb.html
Antwort: 
Milk-fed or white veal are terms I've come across before,   #920287
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2020-07-09, 14:23  like dislike  Spam?  
but I don't think veal is eaten in the UK as much as it is here. It could be called something different in America.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-difference-between-white-veal-and-veal

I don't think I've ever come across breast meat for beef, but after googling, there are some sites that list breast as a cut of veal, but it's difficult to tell what country they're from. Cuts of meat vary greatly from country to country.

I agree with ox cheek rather than beef cheeks of an ox.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2020-07-09, 16:40  like +1 dislike  Spam?  
Just some general thoughts.

- At least in the U.S., you don't often see the words cow, bull, ox, calf and pig used in the name of an entree on a menu. People prefer to see "beef'' (the flesh of a cow, bull, or ox, used as food), "veal" (the flesh of a calf, used as food) and "pork" (the flesh of a pig used as food, especially when uncured). If there's a longer description of the entree, the words cow, bull, ox, calf and pig are used freely. In cook books and food literature, anything goes.

- Since the terms beef, veal and pork refer to the flesh of an animal, they can't be prefaced with "suckling." The animal suckles, but not the flesh.

- You still have to be careful with the word "gourmand." Not too long ago, it was synonymous with 'glutton.'  In the 1990s, the meaning changed to 'someone who heartily enjoys food, and much of it.' As far as I know, it still does not quite mean the same as 'gourmet,' who is someone with a refined palate. But this may come to pass soon. Perhaps "foodie" will replace 'gourmand' and 'gourmet.' I hope not.
Antwort: 
I generally agree with MichaelK's thoughts for BE, as well,  #920306
von Lllama (GB/AT), 2020-07-10, 17:09  like dislike  Spam?  
except for ox not being used for meat - oxtail soup was common when I was a child; luckily it doesn't seem to be that common these days. And https://www.lexico.com/definition/ox-cheek has ox-cheek hyphenated and says The cheek of an ox, especially as food.

(I also disagree with his use of entree, but that's another matter ;-)  )
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2020-07-10, 17:36  like +2 dislike  Spam?  
4;Lllama: Interesting you mention oxtail soup in connection with your childhood. I have a similar recollection: On train trips from Ulm to Stuttgart and back, my mother and I would always mosey to the dining car and have oxtail soup. Came in a bowl with the sides turned inward so the soup couldn't slosh out when the train made those jerky side-to-side motions back in the day. Very vivid memory.

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen

Überschrift
Username
E-Mail (opt.)
Beschreibung
Kontext oder Zusatzinformation. HTML nicht erlaubt! URLs beginnend mit http:// werden automatisch verlinkt. Formatierung: +Wort+ wird zu Wort, *Wort* wird zu Wort.
» Richtlinien
« zurück
 Standard-Antwort: Kontext | selbst versuchen | Frag Paul | Wörterbuch
Postings sind öffentlich sichtbar und können über Suchmaschinen gefunden werden.

nach oben | home© 2002 - 2020 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung