|   Alle Sprachen   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch

Online-Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch: Begriff hier eingeben!
  äöüß...
  Optionen | Tipps | FAQ | Abkürzungen

LoginRegistrieren
Home|New Website|About|Vokabeltrainer|Fachgebiete|Benutzer|Forum|Mitmachen!
Übersetzungsforum Deutsch-Englisch
 Eigenen Wortschatz erstellen »
« Ever listend to Shetlandic?    

English-German Translation Forum

« zurück | Antworten aus- oder einblenden | Diskussion beobachten
Frage:
Do these both idioms convey the same meaning?  
von nigilmaadhust (UN), 2020-11-01, 07:15  like dislike  Spam?  
Hallo

guten Tag! Scene: Police investigation goes on. Evidences are gathered. Police X says to police Y.

1: Connect all the dots! You will get the answer.
2: Do the math! You will get the answer.

My question is, are the idioms "Do the math" and "Connect all the dots" same? What is the difference if any? Have a nice Sunday!
Chat:     
in context - yes  #923279
von sunfunlili (DE/GB), Last modified: 2020-11-01, 09:20  like +1 dislike  Spam?  
Google: do the math meaning

OED
"   to do the math colloquial: to come to a conclusion based on the information given, usually with the implication that this conclusion is obvious. Frequently in imperative, esp. in you do the math. ..... "

Google: connect all the dots meaning

OED
"  connect-the-dots, adj. and n.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation:  Brit. Hear pronunciation/kəˌnɛk(t)ðəˈdɒts/, U.S. Hear pronunciation/kəˌnɛk(t)ðəˈdɑts/
Origin: Formed within English, by compounding. Etymons: connect v., the adj., dot n.1
Etymology: < connect v. + the adj. + the plural of dot n.1, after ... (Show More)
Chiefly North American (originally U.S.). (Join-the-dots is the more common term in British English.)
A. adj.
Categories »

1. attributive. Designating a puzzle with the object of drawing lines sequentially linking numbered points arranged on a page, so as to form a picture; of or involving such puzzles; = join-the-dots adj. 1. Frequently figurative or in similes. Cf. dot-to-dot adj. and n. (a) at dot n.1 and prep. Phrases 6. .... "
Chat:     
Many thanks, sunfunlili.  #923281
von nigilmaadhust (UN), 2020-11-01, 10:06  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
Erledigt Eure Hausaufgaben  #923287
von AliHeret (DE), 2020-11-01, 11:21  like dislike  Spam?  
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2020-11-02, 04:56  like dislike  Spam?  
Evidence is gathered.
Also, at least in AE, no one would ever say "connect all the dots".  "Connect the dots" is understood to mean "connect all the dots."
Further, "connect the dots" and "do the math" both mean to follow a sequence of logical steps to obtain the answer, so "you will get the answer" is redundant in both cases.
Chat:     
von callixte (US), Last modified: 2020-11-03, 09:38  like dislike  Spam?  
I find the assertion "no one would ever say 'connect all the dots'" hard to believe.
In fact, the phrase is routinely used.  Examples found in leading American newspapers--and just about everywhere else.  See excerpts from the net :

1.  The New York Times › books › bla...

Blackford Oakes Goes to Nam - The New York Times

Feb 17, 1991 — ... (and peripatetic) alter ego, the C.I.A. agent Blackford Oakes, who has ... the author does connect all the dots, factual and imagined, but he does ...

2. Jun 14, 2013 — One, the FBI would have needed to "connect all the dots" beforehand, something that much easier said ...

3. We see Liz talking to FBI agents, telling them that she thinks Tom was inserted ... Red admits he cannot connect all the dots in this plan, but that the ultimate goal ...

4. I just started to connect all the dots.. When the Obama FBI, never examined the DNC Servers...that was ...

5. On Tuesday, the prosecution sought to connect all the dots as it started to wrap up its case against Mr.

6. More FBI personnel have been assigned to the CIA's Counter Terrorist Center ... The idea is, in the familiar metaphor, to connect all the dots to create a full picture ...

7. Jul 3, 2015 — North Side test of 'tactical urbanism' fails to connect all the dots. Blair Kamin. By Blair Kamin.

8. The judgments don't name any specific groups, but the FBI often warns of ... portions of the intelligence estimate) fail to connect all the dots.

9.  Sep 15, 2020 — Because the FBI's interest is in finding evidence of crimes — not ... to connect all the dots regarding whether consumers' utility payments were ...

10.Academy Panel on FBI Reorganization ... Finally, Mr. Chairman, the FBI can't connect all the dots if it ..

11. Jeffrey Cugno Cugno is a special agent for the FBI's Los Angeles Field ... “If we don't work together, we can't see all of the data points and connect all the dots.

12.  Sometimes you just can 't connect all the dots.” ... Rabb contacted the FBI and asked if they were still ...

13.  Yeah, unlike the NCAA the FBI has he power to connect all the dots

14.--to a time when the government could not, by law, connect all the dots. Nobody ... Similarly, some information gathered by the FBI during a law enforcement ...

15.  Jul 27, 2010 — ... observations and evidence collected by the FBI, CIA and others. ... API's job is to sift through the piles, detect patterns and connect all the dots

16.  Washington Post › 2005/01/04 › ev...

Everything's on the Line - The Washington Post

17.  Jan 4, 2005 — Dot 4: The CIA says it's a slam-dunk. ... dot is that you won't be anywhere until you connect all the dots

18.  CIA, And Kurtis Started Lockheed's Supersonic Spy Plane? We connect all the dots for you in this Hot Rod

19.   Feature story.officer, with the C.I.A., from 1950 to 1978. ... to connect all the dots and then fearlessly stand back and see what I've got.

20.  Connecting all the dots  [title]

When Nerses "Krik" Krikorian was born on a Turkish roadside in 1921, the future looked bleak. His parents were fleeing ...The role of an analyst is to connect all the dots together. ... the CIA's coveted Intelligence Community Medallion, two honorary doctorates, and countless other  ...
Chat:     
von AliHeret (DE), 2020-11-02, 06:31  like +1 dislike  Spam?  
Allaussagen sind immer gefährlich. "Alle Kellner heißen Fritz und haben rote Haare."
Antwort: 
von callixte (US), 2020-11-02, 08:04  like dislike  Spam?  
Do the math:  "make a calculation or come to a conclusion based on the relevant facts and figures, typically with the implication that the result is or should be obvious."

Connect the dots:  "1. To draw connecting lines between a seemingly random arrangement of numbered dots so as to produce a picture or design. 2. To draw logical inferences connecting items of information to reveal something previously hidden or unknown."

There is overlap in the meanings of the two phrases.  But the definitions written above point to some significant differences.  "Do the math" often suggests the relevant facts are obvious,  whereas "connect the dots" suggests that the relevant information is hidden, or unknown.
Chat:     
von AliHeret (DE), 2020-11-02, 08:27  like dislike  Spam?  
Sehr gute sprachlogische Differenzierung! Mein Übersetzungsvorschlag "Erledigt Eure Hausaufgaben" geht allerdings gleich einen Schritt weiter und fasst beide Herangehensweisen zusammen, denn beides kann man von guten Polizisten erwarten.
Antwort: 
von aphoenix (US), 2020-11-02, 08:50  like dislike  Spam?  
In the case of "connect the dots", it is not the information that is unknown but rather the conclusion. The information -- the set of numbered dots -- is known.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2020-11-02, 15:42  like dislike  Spam?  
4;AliHeret: Vielleicht irre ich mich, aber "Erledigt Eure Hausaufgaben"  hört sich wie ein Vorwurf an. Die beiden engl. Redensarten sind aber nur selten als Vorwurf gemeint. Oft hat der Sprecher etwas durchschaut und möchte das dem Gesprächspartner in freundlicher Weise mitteilen. Klar, da schwingt schon ein bisschen Stolz mit drin, aber keine Überheblichkeit.

Nur als Fußnote: Das Connect all the dots! hört sich tatsächlich etwas merwürdig an. Ich kann es mir aber gut mit der Betonung auf all vorstellen. Die Aussage wäre dann "Du hast ein paar Punkte vergessen!."
Antwort: 
von AliHeret (DE), 2020-11-02, 15:47  like dislike  Spam?  
Da beide Vorgehensweisen bei der Polizei eigentlich selbstverständlich sind, ist allein schon die Erwähnung - wenn nicht gerade vor Polizeischülern ausgesprochen - in jedem Fall eine Aufforderung, wenn nicht sogar eine Erinnerung oder Ermahnung. Mehr sehe ich darin nicht, der Kontext ist auch zu knapp.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2020-11-02, 16:18  like dislike  Spam?  
Ja, Kontext wäre gut. Das Englisch im Zitat ist seltsam.
Chat:     
Merkwüdig?  Wieso?  #923322
von callixte (US), Last modified: 2020-11-02, 16:28  like dislike  Spam?  
Here is the tip of the iceberg:
How can we connect all the dots in chronological order? The reality of the matter is that we will not be able to connect all the dots in chronological order until the actual events take place. Some of the dots we are able to connect, but for many all we can do is make an attempt to understand what God is doing.

What Is God Up To? - Why Earth?- Why Eternity?
by Oliver E. Summers

Of course, it is impossible to “connect all the dots” in the development of the liturgy. But neither are we in a plane looking down in a disconnected fashion from above. We are in a living tradition of liturgical and eucharistic communion.

Eucharist and Ecumenism: The Eucharist across the Ages and Traditions
by Owen F. Cummings

…. lead their story with a paragraph that tried to connect all the dots to create a more understandable (and journalistically significant) story.

Truth to Tell: Tell It Early, Tell It All, Tell It Yourself: Notes from My White House Education
by Lanny J. Davis
Antwort: 
von callixte (US), Last modified: 2020-11-02, 16:49  like dislike  Spam?  
4;aphoenix:    Often, when the phase "connect the dots" is used, there are no dots to be counted at all.  See, e.g. the examples shown above.    This thread would be far less confusing, and far more helpful (in my opinion), if we answered the question asked, rather than delete words (in this case "all") or make wild assumptions ("the set of numbered dots is known.")

from the web: 1.  "So I put my pencil and paper away and asked my co-puzzle solvers if I was correct. ... The rules just said I had to connect all the dots with 4 straight lines ... After thinking about it, the instructor said she had never seen anyone ...

2.  Problem solving is needed, for example, when a physician analyzes a chest ... A teacher gave these instructions: “Can you connect all of the dots below ... For instance, have you made any assumptions about how long the lines ought to be?

3.  I thought about this when my son and I were playing his current favorite game. It's ... Connecting all those dots is labor intensive,

(the list is endless)
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), 2020-11-02, 17:02  like dislike  Spam?  
4;callixte: The example on the internet that is to prove me wrong actually seems to support my point that "connect all the dots"stresses"all." I understood the police-person saying this in the original post to stress "the dots." That you connect all the dots is self-evident and generally is not mentioned. But more context would be nice, as said.
Chat:     
von callixte (US), Last modified: 2020-11-02, 17:13  like dislike  Spam?  
4;MichaelK:   I agree that "connect the dots" is more common than "connect all the dots."   But I have given but a few examples of "connect all the dots."    The actual number of uses available through google seem both limitless and sturdy, not strange at all, not to me anyway.
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2020-11-02, 21:32  like dislike  Spam?  
4;callixte, Yes, that makes sense. Idioms are rightfully modified sometimes to fit a specific situation.  I suppose it makes me take notice since some say (probably incorrectly) that idioms are immutable.

It's also possible that we're talking about two different things here. There's a 'connect the dots' kid's task in which you connect numbered dots in sequence and get an image, like a cute little rabbit. But there's also the "connect all the dots" brainteaser where you are indeed asked to connect all the dots with (sometimes as few as possible) straight lines. I think the idiom is based on the kid's cute image task, but can't be 100% sure about that

On a humorous note, I misheard the expression "madder than a wet hen" as "madder than a wetting hen" shortly after my arrival in the U.S, and used it that way for years. Thought it was one of those weird Americanisms. Apparently, most people ignored my error politely. My wife finally set me straight 30 years ago with a curt "what the hell are you talking about?" and I've been using the wet hen properly ever since.
Chat:     
von callixte (US), 2020-11-02, 21:16  like dislike  Spam?  
4;MichaelK: You don't have to be born elsewhere to sprout a malaprop!
Chat:     
von MichaelK (US), Last modified: 2020-11-02, 23:18  like dislike  Spam?  
That's true!

I came up with some humdingers back then. The ones I remember can't be told on this family-oriented forum.  :-)
Chat:     
Typo in the query: Do both these idioms convey the same meaning?   #923343
von Proteus-, 2020-11-03, 13:48  like dislike  Spam?  194.118.54...

Optional: Login | Registrieren 
  Frage beantworten oder Kommentar hinzufügen
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
nach oben | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | Impressum / Datenschutz
Dieses Deutsch-Englisch-Wörterbuch basiert auf der Idee der freien Weitergabe von Wissen. Mehr dazu
Enthält Übersetzungen von der TU Chemnitz sowie aus Mr Honey's Business Dictionary (Englisch/Deutsch). Vielen Dank dafür!
Links auf dieses Wörterbuch oder einzelne Übersetzungen sind herzlich willkommen! Fragen und Antworten
Werbung